Sunday, November 9, 2008

preparing a garden for the spring

I've been installing a garden in our back yard. We built a sukkah this season. It came out really well and we had a great party in and around it. See the PKO blog for more on that. Anyway, I thought it would make a great center piece around which to build a veggie garden.

I did a little research and some asking around and settled on trying the "square foot garden" approach. This really consists of raised beds filled with a very nourishing mixture of soil, compost and in my case something called Beats Peat -- a substitute for peat that is made from coconut trees that they recommended at the Phantom Gardener. It is very renewable and doesn't disturb the eco-system the way mining for peat does.

I got all the materials together which I couldn't have done with out a very generous loan of a pick-up truck. Saturday morning I built the frames, put them in place. I put a mixture of water and vinegar on the grass inside the frames, then a layer of cardboard. The photo shows a 4x4 frame made of 1x6 cedar. It is laying on a piece of cardboard that was destined for a dumpster. It turned out to be the perfect size (4x8) to fit under two side-by-side frames.

This is the sukkah with 2 - 4x4 frames on either side and a 2x8 frame across the back. I envision this cool and protected area under the sukkah that will serve as a place to work from, or lounge in or take a meal under all through the growing season.

Today I'll fill them with the growing mix. And let them sit until the spring. Actually, I will try to plant garlic and maybe some winter greens. Check back for more.

1 comment:

  1. looks beautiful. just collected some more cardboard myself -- turning a patch of grass into a raspberry bed for the spring. also have just planted some collards, kale and spinach in some Sweet Peat and have it under some hoops covered in agribond (remay). hope it sprouts!
    cool blog idea, elena. love the sukka -- peg

    ReplyDelete